Egyptians called the aloe vera the “plant of immortality” six thousand years ago. It has been used for thousands of years all over the world as a medicinal plant. Today, aloe vera is one of the most commonly grown plants and one of the most useful. It has well known medicinal uses and it has earned its place as a home remedy for many diseases and ailments.Aloe vera is a succulent plant. It has thick fleshy leaves in which water is stored. It produces two substances, the aloe vera gel which is produced from the inner part of the leaves, and aloe vera latex which is found in the leaves’ outer layers. Aloe vera gel is water mixed with other substances and aloe vera latex is sap which is produced just inside the upper layer of the leaves.Some benefits of drinking aloe vera juice1. Alkalizes the body: The human body functions optimally when there is a balance between acidity and alkalinity. This is maintained by the food we eat. For the ideal balance between the two, our food should be eighty percent alkaline and twenty percent acidic. Aloe juice makes our body alkaline and helps keep the optimum balance needed for functioning. Diseases do not survive or flourish in a body which has the proper acid-alkali balance.2. Helps in detoxing the body: The aloe vera juice has more of a gel like consistency rather than a watery consistency. When the leaf is split, the juice runs sluggishly rather than quickly. This is an important property of aloe vera juice. As it runs slowly through the intestinal tract, it absorbs the toxins that are present and carries them through the system to be eventually eliminated.3. Strengthens the immune system: Aloe vera juice contains monosaccharides, which are simple sugars and polysaccharides, which are complex long chained sugars. These sugars are not broken down in the digestive tract but are absorbed in the body as it is and appears in the bloodstream. These sugars help in producing macrophages which are a type of white blood cells that eat and digest waste and foreign bodies in the blood. A certain type of polysaccharide called Acemannan present in the juice, improves cellular metabolism by normalizing cellular function and regulating the flow of nutrients and wastes in and out of the cells.4. Lowers high cholesterol: Aloe vera contains a substance known as beta sitosterol which has been shown to have the property of reducing high cholesterol level in the blood and bringing it under control. This sterol has a chemical composition that helps stop cholesterol absorption thus reducing the overall levels in the body and promotes good cardiovascular health.5. Fights inflammation: Inflammation can be present in the body for many reasons such as injury or as an autoimmune response, causing pain and reducing the capability of functioning. Aloe vera juice has fatty acids, salicylic acids and hormones called auxins and gibberellins that help in combating inflammation. These anti-inflammatories work by stimulating the immune system function and collagen growth, or by blocking the paths of irritants. In fact, beta sitosterol is used by many runners to reduce or prevent swelling after a competition6. Reduces digestive tract irritation: Aloe vera juice has certain properties that can reduce digestive tract problems such as ulcers, acid reflux and general irritation.a) It is an adaptogen which can regulate bowel movements and make them more regular.b) It soothes the system and reduces acid reflux and irritable bowel syndrome.c) It is a vermifuge as well and helps to get rid of worms.These properties of the plant work together to promote proper digestion that is so important for good health.7. Relieves constipation: Aloe vera juice helps regulate the digestive system in cases of both constipation and diarrhoea. It has twelve anthraquinones, which are laxatives. It also regulates the gut bacteria and promotes the well-being of the entire digestive system.8. Stabilises blood sugar: Drinking aloe vera juice is a good way of boosting circulation, increasing blood oxygenation and controlling blood sugar. There is recent evidence that drinking aloe vera juice can lower both cholesterol and blood sugar in people with Type 2 diabetes. A study that was published inmedical plantfound that taking aloe vera every twelve hours was noticeably superior in lowering blood sugar than placebos and showed no harmful side effects. There are three compounds in the juice that provide this benefit: lectins, mannans and anthraquinones.
9. Antioxidant: Aloe vera is a very powerful antioxidant. Drinking aloe vera juice not only provides antioxidants to our systems, it also stimulates the body to engage its own antioxidant system. This internal system along with the antioxidants we get from the aloe vera itself, provides a strong protection from toxins and pollutants.10. Boosts the vitamin and minerals intake: Aloe vera gel is packed with vitamins and minerals. It contains the vitamin B-12 which helps make DNA and maintains blood and nerve cells. It also has folic acid which prevents birth defects and makes new cells. Besides these, it also contains vitamins A, C and E which are antioxidants and protect cells against free radicals.Aloe gel contains nine minerals that are vital to humans. These minerals are needed to make enzyme systems and for the metabolism to function properly. Minerals present in aloe vera are calcium, zinc, selenium and magnesium which are essential for as many as three hundred metabolic functions. It also contains chromium which helps produce insulin that provides cells with energy as well as copper which is important for red blood cells, skin and hair pigment, manganese, sodium and potassium.11. Break down food in the body: Enzymes present in aloe vera juice act as biochemical catalysts that break down the proteins we eat into amino acids. The enzymes turn the food we eat into fuel for our body, enabling the cells to function and work efficiently. The main enzymes found in Aloe vera include Amylase which breaks down sugars and starches, Bradykinase which stimulates the immune system and has analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties, Catalase which prevents accumulation of water in the body, Cellulase which aids digestion of cellulose, Lipase which aids digestion of fats, Oxidase, Alkaline Phosphatase, Proteolytiase which hydrolyses proteins into their constituent elements, Creatine Phosphokinase which aids metabolism, and Carboxypeptidase.12. Hydrates the body: Drinking aloe vera juice also keeps you hydrated and is good for keeping the skin in good condition. It gives the body the building blocks it needs to rebuild and regenerate new cells.13. Heals gum problems: Aloe vera juice is good for the health of our gums. The anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties of aloe vera helps keep our gums in good shape and mouths fresh. It helps in treatment of gingivitis and periodontitis. There is also evidence that shows that aloe vera helps in reducing gum bleeds and even cure ulcers. Aloe gel is nowadays being used in toothpaste because of the properties that make it a good oral health agent.14. Cures acne and blemishes: Aloe vera juice is an excellent way to reduce acnes and skin blemishes. The hormones auxin and gibberellin present in aloe vera help in clearing up skin problems and regenerate new skin cells. At the same time, it works internally by providing vitamins and nutrients to the body.15. Cures eczema and psoriasis: A component of aloe vera called lignin can penetrate the skin up-to seven layers bringing in nutrients and removing toxins. Lignins are beneficial for skin problems such as psoriasis and eczema.16. Improves the health of hair and promotes hair growth: Drinking aloe juice leads to long and silky hair. It helps keep the pH balance of the body in the correct range to boost hair growth and help retain the moisture in the scalp. In addition, applying the juice directly to the scalp can help by clearing dead skin clogging the pores and removing excess sebum. Sebum is the oil that the pores on your scalp produce.17. Provides all essential amino acids to the body: A human being needs twenty-two amino acids for the functioning of the body and can manufacture all but eight of these which it gets from the food and drinks we intake. All these eight amino acids are available in aloe vera. They include isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, phenylalanine, threonine, valine and tryptophan.18. Anti-bacterial and analgesic: Aloe vera contains salicylic acid which is an aspirin like compound. This gives it very strong antibacterial and analgesic properties that cleanses the body internally and fights pain and bacteria.Aloe vera is a super plant with many uses and has been time-tested. However, like a lot of other things, it can have unpleasant side effects if not used properly. The anthraquinone that helps rid constipation can cause diarrhoea if taken in excess. Aloe vera gel is considered safe, but the sap if taken in unprocessed form can cause health problems like colitis.Before beginning a course of aloe vera juice for any reason, taking a doctor’s advice is strongly recommended. Pregnant and lactating women are strictly forbidden from consuming aloe vera in any form because of its laxative and irritant qualities. It may also stimulate uterine contractions in women. It is also unsafe for children below twelve years of age.
[shopify embed_type="collection" shop="nutritownbygrow.myshopify.com" product_handle="wordpress"]
←Previous Post Next Post→
Czerwony says aloe vera juice is safe to drink every day. But drinking too much of it can cause cramping or diarrhea. This in turn can bring on an electrolyte imbalance. “If you have some of those gastrointestinal symptoms, you should probably drink aloe vera juice every other day, or every third day,” she says.What happens if I drink aloe vera juice everyday? ›
Czerwony says aloe vera juice is safe to drink every day. But drinking too much of it can cause cramping or diarrhea. This in turn can bring on an electrolyte imbalance. “If you have some of those gastrointestinal symptoms, you should probably drink aloe vera juice every other day, or every third day,” she says.How long does it take to see the benefits of aloe vera juice? ›
How long does aloe take to work? If you're taking whole leaf juice, and you're taking it steady as we suggest, then you should start to feel some relief from constipation within a day or two.What is a safe amount of aloe vera juice to drink daily? ›
Based on existing studies of aloe vera benefits, 10-20mL per day of aloe vera syrup seems like the sweet spot. This is the range that appears to maximize health benefits while minimizing adverse effects. 10-20mL is equivalent to about 2-4 teaspoons.Can aloe vera clean your blood? ›
Aloe vera juice is known to help to detoxify the body and cleanse the colon. The detoxification properties of the juice also work to detoxify the blood stream.What are the disadvantages of drinking aloe vera water? ›
Aloe latex or whole-leaf extract taken orally might be unsafe and is likely unsafe in high doses. Taking 1 gram a day of aloe latex for several days can cause acute kidney failure and can be fatal. Aloe latex might also have the potential to cause cancer. Other side effects include abdominal cramps and diarrhea.How long does it take for aloe vera to work? ›
How long do you need to take aloe to start experiencing its benefits? The active ingredients in aloe are water-soluble, which means that aloe extract should start taking effect within 2-3 days. Repeated supplementation with aloe extract is necessary, however, to experience the best results.Who should not drink aloe vera juice? ›
Generally, drinking aloe juice isn't really recommended for anyone. This is especially true if you have an underlying medical condition, including diabetes, bleeding disorders, kidney problems, or gastrointestinal issues like Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis.When should I drink aloe vera morning or night? ›
Best time to drink aloe vera juice
The best time to drink aloe vera is in the morning since it gives you a boost of fluids to help your body clear toxins.
By far the best way to boost your kidneys' performance is to drink enough water. Your kidneys depend on water to help them eliminate waste from the body. Water also helps keep your blood vessels open so that blood can move freely.
When it comes to detoxing, healthy liver function is key. Aloe vera juice is an excellent way to keep your liver healthy. That's because the liver functions best when the body is adequately nourished and hydrated. Aloe vera juice is ideal for the liver because it's hydrating and rich in phytonutrients.Is aloe vera good for your kidneys? ›
Kidney Disease and Aloe Vera
The consumption of aloe vera products is contraindicated in patients with renal disorders. This is because it is associated with electrolyte imbalance and medication interactions.
It is also an effective moisturizing agent. For this reason, aloe vera gel has gained tremendous popularity for relief of burns. In one study, burn sites treated with aloe healed completely in less than 16 days compared to 19 days for sites treated with silver sulfadiazine.What are the healing properties of aloe vera? ›
Aloe vera is known for its anti-tumor, anti-inflammatory, skin protection, anti-diabetic, anti-bacterial, anti-viral, antiseptic, and wound healing properties.What is the best time of day to take aloe vera juice? ›
This juice can be consumed every morning empty stomach and you should not have anything an hour after you have had the juice. The detoxifying property of aloe vera helps it cleanse the body of toxins. The juice also cleanses the intestines which help to keep our bowel movement smooth and healthy.What does aloe vera do to a woman's body? ›
Aloe vera may help with digestion, treatment of skin conditions such as acne or psoriasis, sunburn relief, wound healing, heartburn, and blood sugar control.Why is aloe vera good for everything? ›
It has antioxidant and antibacterial properties
Aloe vera is known for its antibacterial, antiviral, and antiseptic properties. This is part of why it may help heal wounds and treat skin problems.
- Contains antioxidants. ...
- May help treat skin conditions and improve skin appearance. ...
- May benefit pre-diabetes treatment. ...
- May help with digestive issues. ...
- May improve dental and oral health.
Adverse clinical effects of the whole leaf extract in humans. Topical and oral use of Aloe vera can cause skin irritation, hives, cramping, and diarrhea to those who are allergic to other plants in the lily family, for example, onion and tulips.Does aloe water help gut health? ›
For example, aloe vera juice can act as a laxative. It contains plant compounds called anthraquinone glycosides which have strong laxative effects. They prevent sodium absorption in the gut and stimulate water flow into the intestines to produce softer stools and relieve constipation.
While small amounts of aloe vera juice can help combat constipation and improve digestion, pure aloe vera juice in large quantities can cause diarrhea, stomach cramps, dehydration, and electrolyte imbalances. Make sure you only drink aloe vera juice that has been decolorized (purified) to reduce aloin levels.Is aloe vera an antibiotic? ›
Aloe vera has potent antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties.How to use aloe vera for joint pain? ›
Topical use: If you've experienced back pain due to muscle strain, joint issues and nerve issues like sciatic nerve pain, then using aloe vera topically could be quite beneficial. Simply break open the plant's leaves and massage the gel directly to the affected area.How do you know if aloe vera is effective? ›
Commercial aloe vera gels should have 15-20% of aloe vera extract in the product. If it's lower, the product won't be effective. Many a time, brands laminate the word aloe vera gel on the packaging. However, if you read the ingredient list, it's either listed at the end or has a lower percentage.When should I avoid aloe vera? ›
Don't use aloe if you're allergic to garlic, onions, or tulips. Avoid taking aloe vera within two weeks of any scheduled surgery. Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding, and children under the age of 12, should avoid the oral use of aloe vera.Is aloe vera a blood thinner? ›
Like ginger and cayenne pepper, aloe contains salicylates that likely cause blood-thinning effects. One 2020 study in The Professional Medical Journal found that, when added to blood in a laboratory, aloe vera gel demonstrated an antiplatelet effect similar to aspirin.Does aloe vera help you sleep? ›
Aloe Vera (Aloe vera)
We've all reached for aloe vera gel at least once or twice in our lives to relieve a sunburn, but did you know that aloe vera plants are also great for helping you sleep? Aloe vera releases oxygen at night, that purifies the air and helps us breathe easier while we sleep.
May boost metabolism
Other animal research has shown that aloe vera could affect the metabolism of fat and sugar in the body while preventing the accumulation of belly fat ( 3 ).
- Limit alcohol. ...
- Focus on sleep. ...
- Drink more water. ...
- Reduce your intake of sugar and processed foods. ...
- Eat antioxidant-rich foods. ...
- Eat foods high in prebiotics. ...
- Decrease your salt intake. ...
- Stay active.
Aloe vera contains enzymes that can help with the breakdown of sugars and fats, and that can help your digestive system to keep running smoothly. It can also assist with decreasing any irritation in the stomach and intestines.
Intake of aloe vera gel helps purify the blood and promote liver function. You need to take fresh aloe vera gel to take care of your fatty liver. However, before using any herbal remedy, it is important to consult or notify your healthcare provider. You can also drink aloe vera juice to help with fatty liver.What is the fastest way to cleanse your liver? ›
Limit the amount of alcohol you drink. Eat a well-balanced diet every day. That's five to nine servings of fruits and vegetables, along with fiber from vegetables, nuts, seeds, and whole grains. Be sure to include protein for the enzymes that help your body detox naturally.What is the best way to heal your kidneys naturally? ›
- Make healthy food choices. ...
- Make physical activity part of your routine. ...
- Aim for a healthy weight. ...
- Get enough sleep. ...
- Stop smoking. ...
- Limit alcohol intake link. ...
- Explore stress-reducing activities. ...
- Manage diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease.
Conclusions: The present study showed that aloe vera gel extract is effective to improve the lipid profile and liver and kidney function.What herb is good for kidney repair? ›
Amalaki, Haritaki and Bibhitak
The wonderful trio of rejuvenating herbs namely, Amalaki, Haritaki and Bibhitaki is nature's miracle remedy, it fortifies the kidney tissues, improved plasma proteins, albumin, creatinine, and enhances overall renal functioning.
Who shouldn't drink it? Generally, drinking aloe juice isn't really recommended for anyone. This is especially true if you have an underlying medical condition, including diabetes, bleeding disorders, kidney problems, or gastrointestinal issues like Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis.What are the pros and cons of aloe vera juice? ›
While small amounts of aloe vera juice can help combat constipation and improve digestion, pure aloe vera juice in large quantities can cause diarrhea, stomach cramps, dehydration, and electrolyte imbalances. Make sure you only drink aloe vera juice that has been decolorized (purified) to reduce aloin levels.Does aloe vera juice help with weight loss? ›
Aloe vera is commonly found in weight loss products, including herbal supplements, juices, and diet drinks. It may help promote weight loss by boosting your metabolism and improving your blood sugar control.What does aloe vera juice do for a person? ›
Aloe vera juice is a rich source of antioxidants, which help fight free radicals. This lowers oxidative stress on your body and reduces the risk of chronic conditions such as diabetes, heart disease, and cancer. Aloe vera juice is also an excellent source of: Vitamin C.Is aloe vera juice hard on the liver? ›
Aloe vera juice is an excellent way to keep your liver healthy. That's because the liver functions best when the body is adequately nourished and hydrated. Aloe vera juice is ideal for the liver because it's hydrating and rich in phytonutrients.
"It contains anti-inflammatory chemical compounds — which reduce swelling — called anthraquinones. These chemical compounds promote healing and alleviate pain when applied to your skin.Can aloe vera heal stomach lining? ›
It is widely known for its antibacterial and skin-healing properties. Interestingly, aloe vera may also be an effective remedy against stomach ulcers ( 46 , 47, 48, 49). In one study, aloe vera consumption significantly reduced the amount of stomach acid produced in rats suffering from ulcers ( 50 ).Does aloe vera help in hair growth? ›
It boosts hair growth.
Aloe vera promotes healthy hair growth thanks to a special enzyme found in aloe called proteolytic enzymes. These enzymes effectively break down dead skin cells on the scalp that may clog hair follicles.
It is also rich in vitamin c, which according to scientific research helps lower blood pressure. Besides, aloe vera also works wonders for the skin! a diet that includes natural sources of potassium, such as pineapples, lessens the effect of sodium and thus lowers blood pressure.What does lemon and aloe vera do? ›
Since aloe vera gel is loaded with amino acids, it nourishes the skin and boost's collagen production. Not to mention, its high-water content ensures that your skin gets the hydration it needs. Lemon juice, on the other hand, is bursting with vitamin C which brightens the skin.How long should I wait to eat after drinking aloe vera juice? ›
This juice can be consumed every morning empty stomach and you should not have anything an hour after you have had the juice. The detoxifying property of aloe vera helps it cleanse the body of toxins.